The $3.4 billion Cobell v. Salazar settlement is approved and payments to Class Members have begun.The Settlement resolves a class action lawsuit that claims that the federal government violated its duties by mismanaging trust accounts and individual Indian trust lands.

Payments of $1,000 to the Historical Accounting Class are underway.The Historical Accounting Class includes individual Indians who were alive on September 30, 2009, and who had an open IIM account anytime between October 25, 1994, and September 30, 2009, with at least one cash transaction in it.The process of considering claims for the Trust Administration Class is ongoing.

The final deadline for Class Members to file a claim form for the Trust Administration Class is March 1, 2013.

The Trust Administration Class includes individual Indians alive on September 30, 2009, who either had an IIM account recorded in currently available electronic data in federal government systems anytime from January 1, 1985 to September 30, 2009, orcan demonstrate ownership in land held in trust or restricted status as of September 30, 2009.

Also included are the estates (or heirs) of any deceased landowner or IIM account holder whose account was open or whose trust assets had been in probate according to the federal government’s records as of September 30, 2009.

Not all Class Members need to file a claim.People do need to file a claim if they believe they are in the Trust Administration Class and they have not:

1. Received IIM account statements at their current address anytime between January 1, 1985 and September 30, 2009 and continue to receive statements; or
2. Received a payment as a member of the Historical Accounting Class. If they did, they will receive a second payment automatically as a member of the Trust Administration Class; or
3. Filed a claim form already using their current address.If they have, the Claims Administrator will contact them.

Members of the Trust Administration Class will likely receive at least $800 or more.The actual amount will depend on the number of claims and the cost of administration.

This entry was posted on Thursday, December 20th, 2012 at 5:00 pm and is filed under Uncategorized. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

7 comments so far

When will the next checks be mailed out??????

December 23rd, 2012 at 10:51 am
Starlet

Its that saying second payment won’t be sent until all claims have been filed March 1st? I don’t understand that at all, this should of already been taken care of..Someone wasn’t doing there job

December 26th, 2012 at 3:54 pm
vee

My grandmother received both checks this week.

January 5th, 2013 at 11:32 am
K.cline

So have the 2nd payments been started to be sent out or do all of us need to wait for the others to file claim before the 2nd round or the suit payments are sent out? This wouldent be fair to us that are on top and completed the nessary forms, ans then wait?……..

Not fair……..

January 5th, 2013 at 3:52 pm
lele

Hello, I am still confused they told me that i will be receiving a 2nd check due to land. I am confused does this mean that I have land or am I just heir to land? I have asked them but the person i spoke with at the number acted like they did not know what they were talking about and would not give me specific answer.

January 7th, 2013 at 2:39 pm
lele

I am told that i am to receive a 2nd check but i am confused, they told me that i will receive 2nd check for land. Is this for land I have or land that I am heir to? Can someone please help me when called the number and spoke to someone they could not give me an answer the person acted as if they did not know what I was asking

January 7th, 2013 at 2:45 pm
D

C’mon with the checks. We deserve more than 800 thats for sure. Back in day, we were not allowed to speak our language and now today our children has to learn how to speak Mexican. The government is so messed up. I wish I signed their checks so I could mismanage their money and see how they would like waiting day after day wondering if they gonna get their share. “Its my MONEY and I Need it now.

September 23rd, 2013 at 1:35 am

2 Trackbacks/Pings

1. NativeNewsToday.com » » Cobell settlement: Certain class members must file claims by March 1, 2013    Dec 20 2012 / 6pm:

[...] Cobell settlement: Certain class members must file claims by March 1, 2013   [...]

2. Voices, The Peoples News « bearspawprint    Dec 22 2012 / 1am:

[...] Here’s a noticed the “Cobell/Indian Trust Settlement Fund” sent out Thursday via Bill McAllister: The $3.4 billion Cobell v. Salazar settlement is approved and payments to Class Members have begun. The Settlement resolves a class action lawsuit that claims the federal government violated its duties by mismanaging trust accounts and individual Indian trust lands. http://www.buffalopost.net/?p=18359 [...]